EXPERIENCED WRITER, EDITOR & MEDIA STRATEGY EXECUTIVE
- Innovator: Idea-rich intellect, talent for targeting, positioning, promoting
- Business Analyst: Metrics-driven, strategic
- Entrepreneurial: Agile, adaptive, fast
- Elite:Worked at BusinessWeek, CNET, Yahoo
- Collaborative mentor: Proven team & community builder, process creator, respected, authentic
- GM who led development, launch, growth of Yahoo tech to 7MM monthly visitors in one year
- Editor-in-chief who led ground-breaking coverage
- SVP behind strategy for promising new “Ai-audio” software startup
- SVP who helped Series B media startup grow to $32MM
- Executive producer who led prize-winning news site at the dawn of commercial Web
Content Strategist/Consultant/Contributor, 2015 – Present:
Developed, assisted, or contributed to marketing content programs at Symantec, Maker Media, Purch, Sitecore, HP, Sony, Nvidia, Qualcomm
Interim Editorial Director, Bitcoin Market Journal, April – June, 2018:
Conceived and managed broad strategy, tactics, and content for website, newsletters targeted at brave new world of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology.
SVP, Strategy Development, Bambu Tech Inc., June, 2016 – March, 2018:
Across-the-board strategic and hands-on contributor to seed stage audio software technology startup. Highly involved in market research, targeting, positioning, go-to-market, funding, sales strategies.
Founder & CEO, MediaArchiTECHs, 2012 – 2015:
Conceived then led development, positioning, fund-raising, biz-dev, marketing, sales for cloud software reviews property.
SVP/Chief Publisher/Editorial Director, NetShelter Technology Media, 2008 – 2011:
Served as key, early exec, helped new media startup grow revenue from $9MM to $32MM.
VP/GM, Media Group, Yahoo!, 2005 – 2008:
Led cross-functional team to create a tech channel, then served VP of content for Tech, Health, Food.
Editor-in Chief/VP/Editorial Director, CNET Networks, 2000 – 2005:
Led trusted reviews site, after earlier overseeing 10-million-subscriber newsletter portfolio, special events.
Executive Producer, News, ZDNet, 1996 – 2000: Led ZDNet News from early stage, spearheaded newsroom integration with ZDTV, won Webbie.
Senior Editor/Executive Editor, Ziff-Davis 1992 – 1996:
Led PCWeek Inside, a weekly that became known for in-depth tech industry news analyses.
Freelance Writer/Book Author, 1988 – 1992:
Established franchise as regional business journalist for publications such as Newsweek.
Correspondent/Bureau Chief, BusinessWeek, 1980 – 1988:
Correspondent in Pittsburgh, Toronto, then bureau chief in Minneapolis-St. Paul.
B.A., American Studies in Journalism, cum laude, Allegheny College, Meadville, PA
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, DISTINCTIONS, AWARDS
- Online News Association, board member
- Society of Professional Journalists, president, Pittsburgh Chapter
- Webby Award, Melissa virus coverage at ZDNet
VOLUNTEER, COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Community Shepherd, Founders Circle, Telos Ventures, Christian incubator and VC fund
- Retreats and communications director, Via Vetera, spiritual formation ministry
- Pioneer Member, volunteer for creating San Mateo branch campus, Menlo Church
- Foster City Little League, team manager